A GUIDE TO COWDRAY.
Corner and Kitchen
the outside of the tower, going up the west side, is a stair turret
leading to the room above the kitchen. At he time of the fire, this
room was used as a muniment chamber for storing documents and manuscripts.
After the fire, there were pitiful accounts of how the documents were
left in the room to decay for over fifty years, open to the ravages
of the wind and rain and any casual visitor who cared to enter. The
room is now used as the Museum, containing a collection of relics from
Cowdray, plus other items of local and
Shortly after the fire, another floor was inserted in the kitchen about 12ft up, to form another room that was used as an audit chamber. It was lighted by the existing kitchen windows. One of the two fireplaces that were built for it still remains up on the south side of the kitchen. During the restoration of Cowdray about 1915, the floor was removed and the kitchen restored to its full height.
Descend the stair from the muniment room, cross the kitchen court and go through the kitchen entry into the hallway, turn left, through the porch and you are out into the quadrangular court again, so concluding the tour of Cowdray as it could have been seen in 1770 and 1978.
Next Page >>