The southwest corner block matched that to the north, though
it was a little
larger and more remains, including the south and west walls, complete
with bay window. The library was on the first floor and held a grand
collection of books in glazed cases.
The south range, like that to the north, is reduced to its foundations,
but unlike its counterpart it was divided into two sections and was
much wider, widening even more at its eastern end. On its court side
it had a very large bay with two flanking stair turrets, to match that
to the north, while to the south it had a square tower containing a
passage, small room and garderobes. The ground floor of the range was
used as a cellar except at its wider eastern end, where it was probably
used for the kitchen office and scullery. The first floor was one long
gallery until 1784 when it was converted into a suite of bedrooms and
dressing rooms. Also the Viscount Montague's quarters seem to have
been at the eastern end. The south range joined with the east at the
pantry. Above this was the breakfast room and in the east corner, over
the buttery, was a spiral stair leading down to the main hallway running
through the house. The three doors to the south led to the buttery,
kitchen entry and pantry, all contained in a rectangular block between
the hall and kitchen. The way to the kitchen was through the kitchen
entry, a narrow passage 26ft long and 7ft wide. This came out into
an open triangular kitchen court, across which meals had to be carried.
The court was later covered over.