Cowdray House, Midhust, West Sussex title banner, a history of a magnificent 16th Cent house, destroyed by fire in the late 18th Cent
Home & IntroductionLocation, Midhurst & AreaGuide to CowdrayDestruction by Curse?Cowdray in RuinsAppendixPhoto Gallery

The Court Yard

Passing through the inner doorway, you entered the quadrangular court, in the centre of which was an early sixteenth century Florentine bronze fountain that replaced an earlier, smaller one. The conduit house supplied the water that flowed from it.

The fountain in the centre of the court at Cowdray was removed to Woolbeding, a grand house located nearby, shortly after the fire and stayed there . It stayed at Woolbeding until the National Trust took the house over in 1956, when the fountain was loaned to the Victoria and Albert Museum in London as an example of sixteenth century Florentine bronze fountain. The only alterations that had been made, were that the griffin heads used to be set on the stone surround facing inwards, where as they are now on the centre facing outwards. The Fountain is located in the Raphael Cartoons gallery.

Pre-fire view View from top of Kitchen Tower

West Range

East Range

Fountain in V&A Museum
Pre-fire view View from top of Kitchen Tower West and East Ranges Fountain in V&A Museum

top of page ^

Home & Introduction | Location, Midhurst & Area | Guide to Cowdray | Destruction by Curse? | Cowdray in Ruins | Appendix | Tour | Photo Gallery

© Nigel Sadler 1978 - 2008 | Business | anti-spam email: nigel at herriott-sadler dot co dot uk